The Challenges and Pressures
Here are some resources for you to enjoy on the challenges and pressures non ridden equines and people who choose not to ride face. This section will have more articles and information added as time goes by. Links are always checked once added, however articles can get removed and websites close, so if the links to a resource do not work please let us know.
If you have some information that should be added please Get in Touch. We aim to have many voices contributing to this resource.
The Challenge and Pressure:-
- I Can Never Ride My Horse (And It’s Actually OK). By
- If you can't Afford a Retired Horse, You can't Afford a Horse! By Matilde Brandt
- Responsible Equine Rehoming. By the Blue Cross
- The Best Reasons to Stop Riding By Anna Blake
- 5 Reasons why Horses make the Best Pets By Ecowood Pellets
- Sue’s standpoint – How would you define ‘pain related behaviour’? By Lizzie Hopkinson
- I Don’t Ride My Horse. By Kristina Simmons
- Anger Management. By Justine Harrison.
- Word From The Herd ~ Grief. By Wadi Farm Equine Learning Centre.
- Losing a Herd Member. By
- To all of us who don’t ride as much as we “should” By Katy had a Little Farm
- Living in the New Forest… By Lizzie Hopkinson
- Stress Busters. By Justine Harrison
- Animal EMDR: For the Treatment of Emotional Disorders. By
Par François G. Cellier
- Signs Your Horse May Be in Pain. By Casie Bazay
- Can Animals Consent? By Sarah Schlote
- When Retirement isn't the Kindest Thing. By Horse Wisdom
- What do you say when horse people say “He’s just taking the…. “ By Dr Helen Spence
- The Great Natural Horse Keeping Hoax. By Hoof Geek
- The Equine Pain Face Learn to recognise the signs By Karina Bech Gleerup
- Horses' Eye Blink Rate Could Reveal Stress Levels. By Christa Lesté-Lasserre, MA
- Practical applications of herd dynamics. Written by Sharon Smith
- Four ways having a pet increases your lifespan. By Janette Young
- Stress in Horses By Casie Bazay
- Word From The Herd ~ Calming Signals. By Wadi Farm Equine Learning Centre.
- Companion Animals By The Info Pony
Barn Sour Drama. By Terry Golson
Horses aren’t made to be ridden. By Chuck Mintzlaff
Identifying Physical vs. Psychological Issues in Horses. By Sue McDonnell
Are you looking for myths and magic? By Maisie Wake
YOUR EXPERIENCE DOESN'T MAKE YOU RIGHT. By Dragon Horsemanship.
Holding Space ~ Chipilly's Tale. By Wadi Farm Equine Learning Centre.
TRANSITIONING from Shoes to Bare. By Scoot Boot
Feeding the Older Toothless Horse. By EquiMed Staff
Horse Myth #9 - 'Don't Pet a Frightened Horse, You'll Reinforce His Fear' By Lauren Fraser, CHBC
How to measure your horse’s weight. BY WENDY TALBOT
Myths That Lead To Punishment. By Adele Shaw
Spotting a Sketchy Horse Rescue. Good equine rescues provide a wonderful service. Here’s how to tell the solid from the shady. By Laura Rose
Dealing With Enthusiastic Equine Learners. Learn how to modify an overzealous carrot stretcher’s behaviour. By Sue McDonnell, PhD, Certified AAB
Desensitizing and Counter-Conditioning Horses. By Terry Golson
STAND UP FOR YOURSELF & YOUR HORSE. By Linda Salinas
Eight Alternatives to Bute BY CASIE
- How Does PETA Feel About Horseback Riding?
- Want to Improve Horse Welfare? Change Human Habits. By Christa Lesté-Lasserre, MA
- HAVING TROUBLE BONDING WITH YOUR HORSE? By Dragon Horsemanship
- Is your horse the Right Weight? By World Horse Welfare
The views expressed by contributors to the website may not necessarily be the view shared by you or the founding members of the Non Ridden Equine Association UK. The website content will be very diverse therefore impossible to apply a quality standard. Therefore we encourage you to use what you learn from here with common sense and with on-going support from professionals of your choice.